Monday, December 06, 2010

Perfection!

I have been talking to this friend of mine very often and trying to figure out a 10,000 things because mostly he gets me thinking - I like!
Its one of those tangents I  really like walking on..
I was trying to explain him why caviar is discomfiting while mousse is called the comfort food! Its only too obvious. Caviar is an epitome of perfection. That is why it is "Caviar". It is after all unfertilized fish roe which is obtained from this Caspian species of aquatic craniate, in short, it comes from the Sturgeon, a fish found mostly in the Caspian sea. I could have continued in more and more incomprehensible manner of explanation which would only be too intimidating for a person like me! Thats exactly what Caviar would be. Intimidating. Did you know that there is a certain way that it must be eaten, the way it should be served, its accompaniments etc etc. Look at this for example, caviar is Never Ever eaten with a silver or stainless steel spoon, as that can distort its taste. And how exactly is then one supposed to eat it? I mean its caviar after all, you can't be eating it with your bare fingers..well please yourself into the so called indulgence and kindly use a mother-of-pearl or gold spoon or you could opt for one made of horn (wonder if they mean ivory and just because it is illegal to use they would omit mentioning it), wood or glass. Well why not plastic? Because it looks very gauche! I understand it is a luxury delicacy and fascinating as it may seem to be, it would always be something that makes me feel maladroit and disquieting. How does this make Caviar any innocent or misunderstood? It wants to be that way. It likes the kind of attention it gets and pretentious is its first name, let alone second. Its not the people who savor it need be necessarily ostentatious cause some might be driven by sheer curiosity or adventure. It could be that they are crafted into such existence! My point being why would one prefer to call himself an unfertilized egg when they are one hell of a fully grown sperm already! Its beyond my levels of comprehension. And at the same time the claims of being a regular joe. I am sure Joe doesn't like being compared to its anti-counterpart which lacks the capability to deal with banality!
I wouldn't like jello. For a simple reason. It is too simple. Like my friend very nicely described it, "easily available popular sweet and you always get what you see" but ease of availability is hardly flattering. I'd prefer something to be a little difficult to get in the start because that would help you dodge your thoughts as to why are you running behind it anyway. If you get it too easily, you will hardly cherish it and if its too difficult to get or tries to play hard to get, I definitely would lose interest. Its the right balance in not a very balanced sort of a way. It sounds so oxymoronic, I agree but then too much of balance can again get someone off balanced!

This is exactly why I feel imperfections are good. They make the other person feel that they are normal and not lacking anywhere. Nothing is more attractive than really minutely existing details! Its like eating mousse. Sinful rich totally delectable mousse with its near perfection and that is what exactly would make it perfect...the close proximity to perfection but not being there! A creme brulee could be irritatingly perfect but that annoyance it creates in you is again soothing. That burnt sugar that crunch and the moment you put it in your mouth the way it melts but never lets you drown in its melt..the glassy crunch will hit your palate at the right moment to get you out of it!

No comments: